Saturday, April 16, 2005

Wow, NOT ripped off!

After sleeping in a bit this morning, we took our time packing up our stuff. We had done laundry, so our clean clothes were everywhere. We checked out of the hotel at noon and spent the next few hours on the computer. Around 4:00 we put on our packs and walked our way through the tiny alleys to the main street, where we caught a rickshaw to the train station. We hung out in the comfort of the Internationl Tourist booking office with the intention of booking train tickets for our next city after Agra, but couldn't decide on when we wanted to go. We hopped on our train to Agra around 5:30 for the overnight trip. The 2 bunks across from us were occupied by a man and a 10 year old boy. Before the train took off, I hopped out to buy some water and a snack. When I returned, the man asked how much I paid. It turns out I paid too much and didn't recieve enough change. He kindly said "Come with me," took me to the stand where I bought the stuff, spoke to the man, and got me my proper change. It was so refreshing to have someone willingly help me out, realizing I had been ripped off. Such incidents have been rare (if at all) in India, so it made this one all that more appreciated! He is from Varanasi and was headed to Agra for his cousin's son's daughter's wedding...an indication of how close families are here! The boy is his brother's son's son. We joined them in a few card games, and the man shared his sweets with us, which he was bringing to his cousin in Agra (Varanasi is known for its sweets). He politely waited until after we'd eaten it to tell us we shouldn't eat food from others on the train, as sometimes they purposely poison it so you'll get sick, then steal your bags while you're in the bathroom. Well noted, and we won't be doing that again! It was a long night on the train, but not too uncomfortable as we're getting used to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home