Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Blinded by thievery

By walking away from the central part of town, we managed to find ourselves a cheap place for breakfast, delicious gallo pollo con natilla (rice and black beans with sour cream). Afterwards we went straight to the beach to swim for a while, had some lunch, then hired some body boards for the afternoon. I think this is when it all started to go downhill. While boogie boarding, we managed to lose the equivalent of about $20 and, worse, Nigel's special nyaminyami necklace from Zimbabwe. After about an hour of riding the boards (all we felt we could afford, but it was fun), we returned them and headed back to the beach with a bottle of Rostov vodka and Fresca soda for more swimming. We took turns watching the little stuff we had and going for a dip, but as the sun went down we both went into the water. When we came back out, we realised that someone had stolen my glasses. Not my $500 Oakley sunglgasses (left safely in our room) but my prescription glasses. And they didn't take our vodka or towels or hats (Nigel had been clever enough to bury what little cash we had, so at least that was still there after losing so much already). Who the hell would steal my glasses, set to my crappy vision? Granted, they were Valentino and worth about $450, but still, they were only of use to me. And besides all that, now I can't see. Bollocks. At least I still have my prescription Oakleys so I'm only blind at night. We went back to our hotel, set on drinking some more and playing cards, only to discover that our deck of Cathay Pacific playing cards, which we have had since our very first flight from Sydney to Shanghai, had gone missing. We searched around but they're lost forever. And they were so loved. Sniff sniff. So we decided to call it a day, finished off the bottle of vodka, ate some nachos as big as our ass then went to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home